cbc logo church life logo

Cupar Baptist Church History

 

cbc 200 logoCupar Baptist Church celebrates its 200th Anniversary in November this year (2016). Here is a bit of the history of our church.

 

In 1652 free church principles were introduced to Cupar by Mr. Broone (or Browne), chaplain to Colonel Fairfax's regiment of Cromwell's Parliamentary army. Several of the soldiers, together with members of Cupar's civilian population were baptised in the River Eden at that time. The baptised troops moved away, and the only specific mention of a Baptists thereafter was the excommunication from the Established Church of a young woman who defiantly held to Baptist principles. As dissent against the Established Church was fairly permanent and continuing, it is distinctly possible, even probable, that at least some dissenters were Baptist in all but name.

 

1662, Charles II issued a proclamation 'to apprehend such persons as Quakers and Anabaptists.' Since, at that time, all children were 'baptized' into the national church, those who followed the practice of believers' baptism were 'Anabaptists' since the word denotes those who were baptized again.

 

The Baptist Church in Cupar, as we now know it, was established with the coming of Jonathan Watson, a pharmacist from Montrose, who arrived in 1814. His dissatisfaction with the existing churches caused him to start his own services in Weavers' Hall in Lady Wynd and the Baptist Church was constituted in 1816 with Mr. Watson as Pastor. By 1821, that hall had become too small for the growing congregation. A decision was taken to move to larger premises, so the church bought the Kirkgate Chapel, 'a very solid and plain structure, seating 350' for £200.

 

Mr Watson's ministry spanned 25 years, providing teaching and pastoral care to those in the town and encouraging support for those further afield - the Irish poor and missionaries in India, for example. His preaching and commitment to national evangelism were recognised, when, in 1869, he became first president of the newly-formed Baptist Union of Scotland.

 

In 1849 the Baptists moved again - to the property in Provost Wynd, now occupied by Age Concern. In that year the annual assembly of the Baptist Churches in Scotland was held in that building.

 

Since its foundation the Church has continued its witness. There have been highlights - including, in the 19th century, a visit by the renowned preacher, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, and, in recent years, by the American evangelist Tony Campolo

 

There is a booklet available, 'A Brief History of Cupar Baptist Church' covering the period to 1935 and an update is in preparation.

 

In 1972 the Church of Scotland decided to close the Bonnygate Kirk. The building was offered to the Baptists. Many of the former Bonnygate Kirk members joined the Baptist Church, and this has been our place of worship since then. There have been many ministers over the years, as undernoted

 

 

Ministers of Cupar Baptist Church

Jonathan Watson - 1816-1841

 

Francis Johnstone - 1842-1845

 

William Landels - 1846-1849

 

L.J. Davies - 1850-1853

 

Philip W. Grant - 1854-1856

 

D.R. Watson - 1857-1859

 

David B. Joseph - 1861-1864

 

D McCallum - 1865-1868

 

John McLellan - 1869-1872

 

J.O. Wills - 1873-1877

 

A.E. Anderson - 1878-1880

 

W.W. Sidey - 1880-1885

 

John T. Forbes - 1886-1888

 

Alexander Riddell - 1888-1894

 

George Lauder - 1896-1898

 

Jonathan Holden - 1899-1919

 

T.S. Metrustry - 1919-1922

 

James Young - 1922-1925

 

David William Young - 1926-1930

 

George C. Thompson - 1930-1935

 

Robert B. Hannen - 1935-1940

 

A. Campbell Dovey - 1940-1944

 

Douglas D. McPhail - 1944-1949

 

John H. (Jack) Swanson - 1949-1962

 

Alan J.M. Stoddart - 1963-1966

 

Alex F. (Sandy) Duncan - 1966-1971

 

George Mossman - 1972-1981

 

W.W. (Bill) Macdonald - 1982-2011

 

Tim Power - inducted 2013